Family Caregiver Support Program
Do you help an older adult with any of the following?
- Preparing meals
- Bathing and getting dressed
- Grocery shopping
- Cleaning the house
- Managing medications
- Arranging for services
- Paying household bills
- Getting in and out of bed
- Getting to doctor's visits
Did you answer "yes" to any of the above questions?
If so, you are a caregiver.
A "caregiver" is someone who assists another person - usually a family member - who has physical and/or mental limitations. Caregiving is a labor of love that allows a vulnerable person to stay in the home for as long as they can be cared for safely and comfortably.
Although caregiving can be very rewarding, it can also be stressful. There may be times when you feel squeezed by the demands of giving care, balancing family obligations, working and taking care of yourself. At times, you may not know where to go for answers, emotional support and practical advice - or how to get a break from your caregiving responsibilities.
Some of these suggestions might help you:
- Talk with your doctor about how caregiving is impacting your health. He or she may be able to provide helpful suggestions.
- Allow others to help you. Ask family and friends for specific help and accept the help they offer.
- Learn to take care of yourself. You deserve some time to yourself to relax, socialize, and get some much-needed rest.
- Contact us to learn about helpful resources.
You are not alone
According to a 2009 National Alliance for Caregiver and AARP study, there are 65.7 caregivers who make up 29 percent of the US adult population providing care to someone who is ill, disabled or aged.
Caregiving can also involve caring for children. In Ohio, 233,699 children under the age of 18 live in homes with their grandparents or other relatives, according to the 2010 US Census.
Numerous resources are available to help you give care and take care of yourself.
Call us at 1-800-582-7277 or e-mail email@example.com
Click here for the AAA7 Caregiver Support Program brochure
To view our Caregiver Support Program montly newsletters, CLICK HERE.